From natural disasters and leaky pipes to overflowing appliances, flooding can be caused by many different sources. No matter the cause, flooding of any kind can wreak havoc on your home or business. Immediate action is the key to avoiding as much damage as possible. The longer standing water sits in your property, the more structural and content damage takes place. In addition, standing water may have bacteria that is harmful to your health. This type of water takes specialized equipment and knowledge to properly remove and disinfect. Before our team of experts arrives on-site, take the following precautions.
- Avoid walking through standing water especially if your electricity is still turned on.
- Don’t attempt to remove standing water with a vacuum.
- Don’t use electrical appliances in affected areas.
- Move sentimental and valuable contents to a dry area.
- Wrap aluminum foil around the bottom of your furniture legs to keep water damage at bay.
- Open cabinets, closets and drawers to encourage airflow.
- If safe to do so, mop up as much water as possible.
ServiceMaster of Tacoma has been serving our local community for 38 years. We care about our neighbors. That’s why we stand for the highest quality standards possible. Contact us to restore your peace of mind. We’re available 24/7 for emergency restoration services. When you need flood damage cleanup from Seattle to Tumwater, you can count on us. The quicker you call the more damage we can prevent.
Photo by: istockphoto.com/vicnt