Everyone looks forward to the warmer spring months after the cold winter months. Unfortunately, the spring thaw and damp weather can cause water damage throughout your home. Whether you’ve discovered leaks, mold, rot, or structural damage, water can be absolutely catastrophic to your home if left unaddressed. Taking the time during the spring to assess your home and prepare for spring showers is important to protect your home.
The property damage experts at ServiceMaster Tacoma compiled a list of maintenance tips of every feature of your home to get it ready for spring, avoid costly water damage, and give you peace of mind.
- Clean all debris that blocks the flow of water down the drain.
- Install gutter guards to save the hassle of cleaning out debris. However, you should hose down gutters with a light cleaning agent to remove any debris that got through and discourage mold growth.
- Inspect the gutters for damage, leaks, and hole. Even minor dents can lead to blockages.
- Angle downspouts away from your home’s foundation and towards your home’s storm drains.
- Replace the filters for all of your heating, ventilating, and air conditioning units every three to six months. This can not only decrease your utility bills but prevent damage from overworked units or cause moisture build-up due to poor ventilation.
- If you discover significant blockage of dust, mold, or debris, it may be time to hire a professional cleaning service to adequately address a recurring problem.
- Clean the vents around your home, including laundry vents, AC units, and soffits. Poor ventilation can lead to water being trapped in the vents, pumping in mold spores and poor air circulation.
Look for Pests and Critters
- The spring is when many animals and insects come out of hibernation. Inspect your home for any signs of pest infestation. The best places to look are around the perimeter of your home. Look for signs of animal activity (such as trails of dirt, chewed wood dust, fallen nest material), and consider removing the pests either by sealing them in or having them removed by a professional service.
Seal all Roofs, Doors & Windows
- Check for air leakage in your home around the doors, windows, and upstairs rooms of your home. If you feel a draft or detect cooler air filtering in your home, chances are you have a leak.
- For doors and windows, use caulk and exterior paint to seal off any gaps.
- For the bottom of doors, install a weather strip to make your home more airtight.
- For your roof, you may need a professional to evaluate your roof and make a replacement. You can look for signs of slats missing or mold growth. Keep in mind that replacing them yourself can be dangerous.
Test Your Sump Pump
- If your home has a sump pump, you’ll want to clear out any debris from the sump pit. Next, inspect if for any signs of damage. If it looks good, give it a test by dumping at least five gallons of water into it. If the water isn’t removed, chances are that you have a clog.
Check the Deck
- If your home has decking, look for signs of water damage. This includes warped boards, signs of rot, discoloration, passing fire station, and more. Prolonged exposure to weather and moisture can lead to significant structural damage that may put your family in serious danger.
- To get a full assessment of your decks’ current condition, be sure to clean off any dirt and debris period use a brush with a wood cleaner to gently scrub it off any stuck-on grime period once the wood cleaner has dried, applied an outdoor sealant
Professional Water Damage Clean-Up by ServiceMaster Tacoma
If you’ve experienced water damage or want a professional assessment of your home’s condition this spring, you can trust ServiceMaster Tacoma to get the job done right. Our water damage technicians offer cleaning services for residential and commercial properties to help maintain your peace of mind. If you encounter water damage from flooding, mold growth, storms, and more, we are available 24/7 for emergency services. Contact ServiceMaster Tacoma for all your water damage needs and start enjoying spring today!