No one ever wants, nor expects, their home or business to be struck by disaster. We hear about it on the news, but we never expect the fire to be at our own front door. Once the fire has hit, the damage has been done. You can’t undo it, but the least you can do is be prepared. Check out these tips on what to do after a fire:
1) Contact your local disaster relief service, such as your local American Red Cross. You can contact American Red Cross of Tacoma at (253)474-0400. They can assist with temporary housing, food, and medicine.
2) Check with the fire department to make sure that your home or business is safe to enter. Be watchful of any structural damage left by the fire. They should also see that utilities are either safe to use or disconnected before leaving the fire site. Do not attempt to reconnect utilities yourself.
3) Conduct an inventory of damaged property and items. Don’t throw anything away, even damaged items, until the inventory is made.
4) Save all receipts for any spending related to your fire loss. You might need them later, for insurance purposes.
5) Notify your mortgage company of the fire.
Don’t know what to do next? We do.