Do you have one last trip planned before summer ends?
Read on for tips to avoid property damage to your home from fire, floods, and even theft.
Vacation is supposed to be relaxing. Nothing ruins a trip quite like a call from home… let alone a call that your home has been compromised by fire damage, a flood, or even a break-in. Follow these tips to give yourself the peace of mind you deserve:
- Stop the mail and newspaper service, or have someone pick it up regularly for you.
- Put at least one light in your house on a timer.
- Make sure your lawn is trimmed.
- Unplug small appliances and electronic devices.
- Put the water heater in “vacation” or low mode.
- Turn off water valves to the washing machine, the dishwasher, the toilet, and under the sink.
- Set your thermostat to a temperature closer to outside — warmer for summer, cooler for winter.
- Make sure your smoke detectors are working properly.
- Throw away food that could go bad.
- Take out the trash.
- Relax — time to enjoy your vacation!