Read this article before you head out of town!
Vacation is supposed to be the most relaxed part of your year — except when you have to leave the home-front. Nothing ruins a trip quite like a call from home… let alone a call that your home has been compromised in one way or another. Follow these tips to give yourself the peace of mind you deserve:
- Stop the mail and newspaper service, or have someone pick it up regularly for you.
- Put at least one light in your house on a timer.
- Make sure your lawn is trimmed.
- Unplug small appliances and electronic devices.
- Put the water heater in “vacation” or low mode.
- Turn off water valves to the washing machine, the dishwasher, the toilet, and under the sink.
- Set your thermostat to a temperature closer to outside — warmer for summer, cooler for winter.
- Make sure your smoke detectors are working properly.
- Throw away food that could go bad.
- Take out the trash.
- Relax — time to enjoy your vacation!